Sunday, January 13, 2013

Filling the hole

Jim: What do we have?

Rick: The usual. Two dead. She still has the needle in her arm. Must have shot him up first then did herself.

Jim: Couldn't even wait to get home? Who called it in?

Rick: Some girl came into take a piss. Screamed and ran out. Then the bartender took a look and gave a call.

Jim: And everyone left?

Bartender: I called you guys and closed down? I do something wrong?

Jim: Would have been good to talk to the people that were here. See if anyone saw anything or maybe find out who sold to them. You know them?

Bartender: Her I've seen before. She's here all the time. Usually ends up going home with whoever is still here at last call. You know the type.

Rick: I married the type. (The bartender and Jim laugh)

Rick: She got a name.

Bartender: It was Erica.

Rick: You ever?

Bartender: Nope. Got her out of here the few times she couldn't find any takers but that's it.

Rick: Why not? She don't look so bad.

Bartender: I have a girlfriend. Not to speak ill of the dead, but she was a drunk and an addict. You see what I see every night, suddenly easy sex doesn't look so appealing anymore. It's like when I worked in  a deli for awhile. I couldn't eat meat. I'd seen too much.

Jim: Hey Rick, I'm going out for a smoke. See if the ambulance and the crime scene guys are coming.

Rick: Yeah sure and tell that uniform he can beat it now. We've got this. (To the bartender) You know where she lived?

Bartender: Down on 7th and C. I don't know the building but I know the address. Isn't that her purse down there?

Rick: Yeah, but I don't want to touch anything yet. Let those guys take their photos and get out of here and then I'll go through it. Did you call the owner?

Bartender: I called the manager. He'll deal with the owners. What's going to happen.

Rick: You may be closed for a day or so. (Looking up) Oh boy, the guys from the Post are already here. Shocker. White girl dead in village bathroom is good headlines. The TV folks will be showing up too.

Bartender: What do I tell them.

Rick: Tell them another couple looked to the wrong thing to fill that hole we all have in ourselves. I'm going out for a smoke.







No comments: