Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The memory thief

Death is a memory robber. When my mom died, it was months until I could properly grieve her and move past the frustrations, drama, confusion and hopelessness that her last days brought to remember her as she really was. Now I find myself going through the same thing with Skinny (and no, I'm not comparing the loss of my cat to the loss of my mother even if they did have similar personalities). I am relieved he is not suffering and grateful I'm not having to worry about him anymore. At the same time though my only memories are of that last month or so. I want the real memories back.

1 comment:

J said...

I relate. Then sometimes though the memories unexpectedly appear...I just wish...well...you know, I cling to this hope that I will get to see people I love who,well, died again somehow because if I didn't believe in that it would be too sad. Wishful thinking? Childish? Maybe, but maybe that's what I need. And who knows?