Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Tell The Teacher Moses Didn't Wear A Suit!

I was talking with my brother about his experiences with Hebrew school and our father and he told me this good one. My Dad was notoriously cheap and did not want to shell out the cash to buy my brothers sports coats or suits and ties to wear to temple. It was required and my brother says an instructor would often pull he and my other brother aside suggesting it would be more respectful if they wore suits to synagogue.

Not wanting to bring this to my father, who had an explosive temper in those days, my brothers dodged the issue. But it was stressing them out and one day my brother brought it up with my father who screamed, "tell the Hebrew school teacher that Moses didn't wear a suit."

You can't make this shit up.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Hilarious!

Gina said...

Suit up, Moses.

I guess religion's always been about the externals; works over grace. The book I'm reading ( The Shack) has God presenting himself in the body of a heavy Jamaican woman in a dress, in the interest of both wanting to break religious stereotypes and reaching a guy who had a poor relationship with his earthly father. Whatever He has to do.

Angelissima said...

My brothers used that logic on our uber Catholic old man back in the '70s. JESUS HAD LONG HAIR! (right-on)