Thursday, March 30, 2017

Bobbing and Weaving

Kept feeling persecuted
For decade-old crimes
We shall not regret the past
And I don't regret mine

They say trust the art not the artist
But sometimes it's the other way around
Words and stories is all they are
Not true confessions left in the back of a bar

I use different rhyming schemes
Because it fits my mind
Always dancing and always moving
Scared to stand still and run out of time

Sometimes
I
play
it
straight

Other
times
too
afraid
to
tell

Made the mistake of saying to much
And paying a high price
So sometimes I shut down
Even at the risk of losing what's around

We crashed into each other
At just the right time
But just as I was drawn to your damage
You became repelled by mine

Not putting this here for anyone to see
Just me here. Nobody but me.
And I can handle that for another day
Nothing left to lose so I'll stay

Not as dark as I pretend
Not as cynical as I act
Just defenses I've developed
To keep myself intact

They say there's a child inside of us
Well mine's been hiding since I left the womb
I've tried drinking and smoking him out
But he stays safely tucked away in his room

If he came out and I let him be
I'm afraid he'd take me down in one punch
I act tough but he's the strong one
And I'll only win when he beats me

So stop waiting for some invite
Get out here and let's fight
Break our hands and our bones
At least we won't be alone



No comments: