Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Another Moment Passed

We had a big shot in speaking today at lunch. He was asked about all the people coming out of college who want to be investment bankers just to get rich, not because of any love of high finance or doing deals, etc.

The guy, who seemed pretty down to earth for a multi-millionaire deal dude, said that if your not passionate about something you a) won't do it well and b) it isn't worth doing. He also said that if you can't get enjoyment out of even the mundane things in your job, find something else.

I wanted to put down my plate, walk over to him, shake his hand and say `thank you' and then walk out of the lunch and out of the building.

Man that would've been great.

Instead I kept chewing and nodding my head. The berries for dessert were excellent, btw.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shades of the movie "Metropolitain" -- the scene in which the acronym "UHB" was born:

Preppie in bar (confronted with the idea that all preppies are bound to fail): Well, how do you define failure?

Main character: You know, starting the job, and then refusing to do the mundane part of the job, or only doing the mundane part of the job . . . .

Preppie: Then, I wouldn't say failure, I'd say a number of us just kind of fade away into existence

(or words to that effect)

So, I hear you.

Gina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gina said...

when are you gonna blow that popsicle joint? wait...are these luncheons with the motivational speakers included? i met a man recently who, when I asked what he did for a living, told me he was a "Keynote Speaker". I asked him his area of expertise and it was 'motivating and teaching people how to bring their dreams into fruition.'

Anonymous said...

Actually, it was the "humdrum" part of the job . . .

but who's counting?

Anonymous said...

OK, it was "humdrum"

. . . and in an earlier scene. But like Anon said, "Who's counting?"