Sunday, September 14, 2008

Enough With Dunkin' Donuts

I now have four, count them, four Dunkin Donuts in a 12-block radius. A new one just popped up on Broadway between 101st and 102nd. The space they took over had been empty for a very long time. Previous tenants were a nice Korean deli with good fruit and classical music in the background and a laundry. We now have Dunkin Donuts at Broadway and 89th, Broadway and 96th, Broadway and 97th and this latest addition.

I used to like Dunkin Donuts. Thought of them as a nice blue collar treat (and if that sounds condescending so be it). Now though they've decided to take on Starbucks and apparently are studying Starbucks game book and following that chain's misguided saturation strategy.

In the meantime, my neighborhood, which admittedly stopped being a neighborhood years ago, suffers. We have lost three laundries over the last couple of years. I now have to walk all the way to 104th between Broadway and Amsterdam. Of course, as more and more hideous hi-rises go up filled with the types of people who wouldn't deign to use a laundry, those of us who do will be SOL.

Still, they do make a nice cup of coffee.

4 comments:

Gina said...

They really do.

Wow. That's a lot of city blocks to be hauling laundry.

Oh... to be one of those types who wouldn't deign to use a laundry. How I long for the comforts of a home based laundry. (sigh) I think I need a Dunkin Doughnut. Thanks Rambler.

Xmastime said...

i see theyre in the "breakfast sandwich" game too. the kiss of death!

Anonymous said...

I can confirm that there are at least a dozen of them between southern NJ and western NY. There used to be one (only!), in Horseheads, NY. Saturation is an ugly thing . . . as is drowns out diversity.

But yes, MGR tells me that they make a lovely cup of coffee. I wouldn't know, as I can't touch the stuff lately.

Angelissima said...

Blue-collar treat! That's true. Workers of the world...UNITE!