Saturday, June 27, 2009

Just A Random Update

I feel I've let this slip. Like so many other things I've let slip in my life. So here's an update. My two-and-a-half weeks of cat sitting just ended. While it was relatively painless, it did not make me long for my two cats. For the uninformed, Skinny and Fluff are still in New York and living with my brother. They may join me at the end of the summer or they may stay there. It's up to him. If he wants them, they are his. And if he doesn't, I will go gather them up and bring them out here.

Some are wondering how I left them in New York. I know it doesn't make me look too good. Whether this career switch and move across the country is moving towards something or away from something, I don't know yet. I do know that I wanted to do it alone. Somehow I let my life get shattered six months ago and I felt a need to just start everything over and clean. Maybe it's a geographic, I don't know. Whatever it is, it has worked so far. I have no regrets about moving. I think about a lot everyday, but one thing I don't think about is whether I made a mistake.

If I do end up with the cats back, I will be OK with it. They are good cats and I think they are being better cared for by my brother than they would have been if they came with me. That said, if they end up here I will try to do better. I'm not going to get into all the reasons that I have for doing what I did. They are in good hands and happy. There last few months with me were anything but that.

I have spent a nice afternoon reading a book. Been so long since I got sucked into a book. Pretty sure I'll finish it tonight, which is good since I don't have any other plans. That's OK. I was out Wednesday night at a big industry event. Yesterday, I met friends after work and then went to a meeting and came home. Today I worked out, meeting, did a little cleaning and soon will make some dinner and read some more. Tomorrow I have a full day planned. I am not struggling for things to do. I have reconnected with some old friends here. I am trying to get into the meetings here while at the same time trying not to make that my life.

I am hoping to start writing again soon. I mean book writing. I really do want to finish something, even if I never try to get it published. I just want to have something I completed to look back on.

When I do get around to pursuing this, I will probably have to find a place to write. When I was writing in New York and making headway, it was at the library or the coffee shop. At home it is too easy for me to turn on the TV or surf the Internet. And we know what that means.

It was really warm today, first time in awhile. Maybe the June gloom is finally starting to lift. Anyway, that's my update for now. Hopefully later I'll throw up some morose poetry for you.

2 comments:

Gina said...

You seem to have a good amount of insight, clarity and peace. Nothing like breaking free of the internet. Have you seen the movie "Fireproof"?

Anonymous said...

Rambler,

It's the fatman stopping by to see how you're doin'. Glad to see the move is mostly working out but you "sound" a wee bit lonely. Sorry to see that you left the paws and fur behind. I know you enjoyed them. They were nice to come home to. On the other hand, some of the less damaging old vices are still with you but glad the really bad stuff is still banished. Hope the writing will get itself going again. There's absolutely nothing like holding your book in your hands. After years of work, the feeling is an exaggerated euphoria; worth it even if you never sell a single copy. If you come into town and have time to(and want to) have dinner, let me know. Same contact info still applies. NYC misses you. Me too. Fatman's Dreams-hr