Thursday, July 29, 2010

Enough Trouble

I know how to take care of myself even when I don't want to. Tonight I was going to go to an industry party. But if I did, it would have likely led me to going without a meeting until Saturday.

For some reason, I knew I would be better served showing up in a church then a party. It's not that I thought after almost five years I'd screw up. It's that I don't want it to become acceptable to go four days without checking in. The most I've gone before is three days and that was when I had pneumonia.

I know I won't forget what I am. I'm not one of those people who will gradually drift away and fall backwards. If I go back there it will be because I made a decision to return to that hell because I could no longer take this one.

So far that's not something in the cards. It's good to know that I still know that.

Someone tonight asked how long I had and when I said almost five years he exclaimed, "five years without one beer." I said I didn't think of it that way but I guess that's true.

It's important not to think of it like that. If you do, trouble starts.

I've had enough trouble. Don't need no more.