Monday, June 18, 2012

Father's Day

Father's Day
Another one come and gone
Wish things had been different
By the time you became a good dad
I was a bad son

I'm not mad anymore
It was what it was
You weren't the best
But you were far from the worst

Used my anger and pain to get pretty far
Eventually it turned on me too
It always does
Can only fool yourself for so long
I'd rather you were still here

I'm not mad anymore
It's on me not you
I wasn't the best
But I was far from the worst

Wish I had memories of playing ball
Of enjoying a cold beer on a hot day
Maybe washing the car or buying a suit
Teaching me to swim
Or just having you stand by me

That didn't happen
And if it did I'd be someone else
Maybe that guy would be different
He wouldn't be me

Almost two years since you left
Cleaned up a lot of the mess before that August morning
If we hadn't, I couldn't sit here tonight
I'd be back in some bar drinking at you
Glad I lost my taste for it

Wish you were still here
Maybe it wasn't too late
Could have tried again
At least it's not an open wound anymore





No comments: