Wednesday, December 4, 2013

It Never Came

Came up from the subway
To a sky filled with smoke
Saw those guardians fall away
And with them all hope

A beautiful blue day
Full of blood and tears
Couldn't even think to pray
Just walked toward the fear

People running lost
People running blind
People running scared
People running out

Took three more days
For the skies to open and shout
And the rain came to stay
To finally put that fire out

Memorial at the end of my street
Filled with stuffed animals and flowers
Looking for some sign of peace
In that darkest hour

But it never came

1 comment:

J said...

Write more. I like the specificity and the musicality - somehow I feel like there is more here to be said by the poem, narrator, poet in this poem. Don't edit while you are writing. Well I have a lot of freaking opinions tonight, don't I?