Sunday, December 1, 2013

So Much For Being Pro Choice

So since I no longer meet girls the old fashioned way -- through drunken one night stands, I often find myself trying online dating.

Fear not, this isn't going to be one of those stories. I just thought I'd give you a little idea of what it is like to be in this particular hell.

If a woman I write is not interested in getting to know me I would rather she just not write back. No need to send me a note explaining you don't think we'd be a good "match." Your non-response is message enough.

But this particular woman did feel a need to drop me a line on why we wouldn't be good together.

She wrote: 

"Don't think we'd be a match because I don't like making choices on where to go, etc."

It took me a little awhile to figure out what that response meant. Then I remembered that in the Match profile there is a question about "Favorite Hot Spots." I wrote, "Once I find my match, she can choose where we go." 

It was a throwaway line meant to show that whatever she wants is fine with me and I'm more interest in who I'm with than where I'm at. But apparently for some, just the idea of choosing a place to have a cup of coffee is just too overwhelming in this crazy world. 

Woody Allen was ahead of his time with this scene from "Annie Hall." 



1 comment:

J said...

I am stuck on the fact that you were asked to name your "favorite hot spot." Favorite hot spot? That's funny! I have never heard anyone use that phrase in real life, out loud. I know that isn't the point of the story, but that fact in and of itself is rich in humor. If a person asked you, "Hey, Rambler, what's your favorite hot spot?" I am thinking you might make a joke or wonder if English was his second language. I think your answer was fine, but my answer would probably have been, "Favorite hot spot? Huh? Are you serious?" Then again I think the ads for Match.Com are scary. Really.
On the plus side, you didn't have to actually go on a date with someone who didn't seem to have very good reading comprehension skills. I mean, it was pretty clear in what you wrote that you were not making a deep statement about your unwillingness to commit to a coffee place.
I think the word "match" referring to people dating is a little scary though, anyway, as though a person is a sock whose match has gone missing in the laundry and that match, that one other half must be found. It kind of reminds me of the one-on-one correspondence concepts taught in early childhood. I don't think human connection, fondness, attraction and company is that simple.