Friday, December 6, 2013

Loose Thread

Sooner or later we will cross paths
Can't keep avoiding the inevitable
Missed each so far, but that won't last
Honey would it really be so terrible?

Don't know why you turned on me like you did
Never saw it coming, and it's still got me on the ground
But I really just want to get that moment over with
Because otherwise I'll just keep going round and round

Can't keep replaying every day in my head
Just keeps me away from what's real
I know you think I'm just dead
Another heart you were able to steal

Just want to see that vacant look in those eyes
That plastic smile on your face
So I'll for sure know you're full of lies
And then I can get you out of my space

But until that moment comes you live on
In my heart, in my head, in my soul, in my bed
Even though for you I've been a longtime gone
I still carry you like a loose thread

It's ready to be pulled and unravelled
Leave me like a puddle on the floor
Funny how you friend those with which I travelled
Trust me, they're all that you're not and more

Can fool me but you're not fooling her
So just take the knife out of my back
You won, I'm not trying to lure
Don't need to be reminded of what I lack

You never looked the same in any photo
That should've been my first clue
That something about you just didn't go
That something about you just wasn't true

2 comments:

tourguide said...

If she was such a vampire, she wouldn't of appeared in photos at all. Ouch, that poem must've hurt.

J said...

I like this. I think one of your strengths is that you can be very specific and honest with the details which has the effect of making it more universal, oddly. I can enter into the narrator's thoughts, but the lack of self pity and a certain clarity of vision underneath the pain make it...not sticky, if you know what I mean. You know the way many relationship poems feel as though they are sort of...well sticky, and icky...this does not feel that way. There is an acceptance and response of the narrator to his own actions and thoughts that allows one to enter into it. The word choice and rhythm sustain that.