Saturday, April 18, 2009

Is It Strange That

I feel like I never left? I swear New York seems so far away. I started my job today, a day early and got my first story in the paper. A few years ago I would've grumbled about having to do it, but it felt so good to pick up a phone and call someone with a sense of purpose rather than a sense of shame. I know that's my head and my last job served me well, but I really didn't like the asking people to do events game. I much prefer saying, "I'm on deadline."

Being downtown didn't seem so bad although this was only day one. When I left work after seven and went racing up Third Street and then over to Vermont and then Fountain and then Sunset to meet some friends for dinner, it was so much fun. I love driving again. I know the traffic will get to me eventually, but for now it hasn't been so bad and I haven't cared. Even doing fifteen miles on the 101 this morning was tolerable. And stick does not bother me!

I know my first few days have been a rush and things will slow down. I won't go to Dodger games every week. There will be times when I will be alone and lonely but strangely enough I think even that is easier here. My apartment, which isn't ready yet, is big. Not huge, but compared to my New York box it's a mansion. I was so tired of my New York apartment that I barely could stand to spend time in it except before I went to bed. The new place will be more like a home rather than a flop house.

Anyway, I'm going to crash now. It's not even eleven, but I'm wiped. I think I made the right move.

5 comments:

Kleingärtner said...

Well-done, boy!! Man, you did that fast.

tourguider08 said...

Anyplace we can read your stuff on the net? What's the publication called? I forget. Good Luck, Not Chuck.

tourguide said...

Anyplace we can read your stuff on the net? What's the publication called? I forget. Good Luck, Not Chuck.

tourguider08 said...

Who's that Seamonster guy on top two posts up? Lest anyone think someone's carring a grudge, Good Luck, Chuck is a TV program, and has nothing to do with a certain X-friend and lover.

tourguide said...

I'm either having an identity crisis or I don't know how to edit comments.