Friday, July 20, 2007

Friday Night Blight

Not really. I just like that title. In fact, my titles are usually better than my entries.

Watching the HBO special on the Brooklyn Dodgers. Last night I watched "Mad Men," AMC's new drama about ad men in 1960 New York. Lots of nostalgia over the past two days and that's not including The Bronx is Burning." I am full of contradictions on this. I love the days when men wore suits and fedoras, smoked cigarettes and held doors. Love watching old ball games where the whole crowd is in white shirts and ties. Of course, I rarely throw a suit on unless I have to do so. But that is more because no one else does either. I know, that's no excuse or justification for my contributing to the further lowering of apperances.

It also seemed to be a kinder era. I know. Really? What about civil rights? What about women's rights? All true, a lot is better now than it was 45 years ago and yet in many ways were are better as a society today and worse as individuals. There was something to be said for quiet dignity and that is something that has been lost in this era of narcissism where outrageousness masks for originality. And it's not even real outrageousness. It's planned and manipulated and exaggerated. Tasteless vulgarity is seen as open expression and tacky behavior is seen as some bizarre sign of post modern independence. As Bukowski wrote, "it's just another act to fool the fools again."

And yes, I know that blogging flies in the face of "quiet dignity." I said from the get go I'm a paradox.

3 comments:

Rambler said...

wow, my first spam!

Gina said...

Observe the quiet dignity of 'Lamentations', at times raging with irritation at controlled levels, but always brimming with that quiet strength and old school cool. Not that you'd ever see him suited up at a ball game but I like your imagery.

Carry on....

Gina said...

PS. there is no dignity in smoker's hack but the Fedoras were nice.