Thursday, February 7, 2008

What I'm Doing, Why Do You Care? Why Do I Care?

Rambler just took a crap
Rambler just added a friend
Rambler's ex-GF just got an STD from some loser
Rambler's friend is upset because she saw that her ex is already dating someone else

Yeah, this is a facebook rant. I need to get off that thing and I'm barely on it. There is no point for me to be on it. I don't need the validation of someone who is already a friend adding me as a friend and I'm not so insecure that I get a good feeling about a passing acquaintance adding me as a friend.

I've got a healthy ego, but I don't think my every move needs to be noted and blasted out to a bunch of people that I mostly don't talk to on a regular basis or even think about except for the occasional trip to the spank bank.

I don't care where in the world someone has been and I don't play Scrabble.

There is a bigger issue here. All this so-called connectedness is FAKE. It is an illusion. We are all becoming less connected. We're just a bunch of voices talking at each other instead of engaging with each other. And yes, I realize the hypocrisy of writing that on a blog. I get it. I'm part of the problem too. That said, at least here this is about me trying to do something for myself. If you like it, that’s great. If you identify, even better. If you hate it, that's cool too. I'm not trying to pimp myself or you out to some new software product or an advertisement.

I don't even go on that thing all that much. It seems like glorified email to me. Of course, this is a new era. We don't really want friends. We just want the appearance of friends. We don't really want to play guitar. We just want to play rock star. I don't really want to be a writer; I just want to rant about shit here. I'm guilty too.
I'm guilty too.
I'm guilty too.

1 comment:

Angelissima said...

I HATE FACEBOOK! Wanna be my friend?
The mission of the company I work for is using the internet to get people off the internet.

It is a mess. See how worked up you can get over this and that on Facebook? I don't like it.