Friday, February 29, 2008

Do I Dare Disturb The Universe?

Anyone remember that from The Chocolate War?

It's how I feel lately. I'm full of questions. Such as:
What do I want?
What don't I want?
What has meaning?
What's bullshit?
What is life?
What different does what I do during the day make when it is ultimately what I do at night that will bring happiness?

I think that last one is the big one. I'm 43. I am in midlife crisis mode I guess minus the sports car and the girl. I am starting to grasp that work isn't as important as it once was to me. Now maybe if I was writing great novels I'd feel differently about it. But I'm not writing great novels or even bad ones. And fuck, I'm not even sure I want to do that.

I know that happiness has to come from within before one can find it on the outside. I know that looking at envy at the careers and lives of others doesn't really do me any good, especially when I realize that I don't want to do what they do.

I'm not sure how hard I want to work. I used to be a very hard worker. I was using it to escape many of these thoughts I share here. I'd like to think that if I found something I was passionate about, that work ethic would return Maybe it would, I don't know.

I sometimes think about becoming a shrink or a counsellor of some sort. But then the self-doubt kicks in and the greed kicks in and before you know it I write it off as a passing phase. I used to think about teaching, but six weeks into teaching a class at a local college tells me that may not be the right thing either.

I want to be a worker among workers and be content with that. I want to accept myself. Harder than it sounds.

3 comments:

Angelissima said...

Everyone (of us) seems to go through that "I want to be a counselor of some sort" phase.

Its tough to be a worker among workers because we are so terminally unique! :-)

But then again, what's so bad about being terminally unique?

I'd rather be terminally unique than excessively ordinary.

Sometimes I think that the "terminally unique" brand was born out of the shear agony of listening to the "pour me" stories.
GUESS WHAT? WE'VE ALL BEEN THERE!
you are not terminally unique.
hehheheeeee.

But we ARE. We can't help ourselves.

Trying to be comfortable "in your own skin", unique, ordinary or whatever it is....is the hardest part.

Have you considered yoga?

Gina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rambler said...

yeah, that's not happening, Ramber's a city boy.