Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I Am Not Surprised

I am not shocked nor surprised that Obama won. I have often thought our country was a lot further along on race than the media, Hollywood or the extreme left was willing to admit.

Those that are expressing utter amazement at what happened tonight are usually the very same ready to always assume the worst of their country. Look how far this country has come in just forty years. In fact, a large chunk of Obama's support comes from a generation that has no actual experience of where this country was just a short while ago. To them it is history. To them the idea that color would influence how they would vote is absurd.

Now am I saying that the whole country has moved past race? Of course not. But obviously the majority has. Could a different black candidate with a different background have won? I don't know. All I know is this candidate won because a majority of the people thought he could do the better job, hopefully regardless of his color or how the rest of the world will now look at us.

This election did not show how far we've come. It shows how far we came. We were already there. And I am not surprised.

5 comments:

tourguide said...

I am. I canvassed the Philly suburbs, and many people who came to the door in blue-collar areas had a grievance with a city in which cops, delivery men and utility men are robbed and sometimes killed,usually by blacks.
The condition of the underclass is still the nation's biggest social problem. Hopefully the election of a black man will help as a role model, though Obama wisely spoke little of the ghettos.
I went to Philly yesterday to get out the vote. Read all about it in my blog.

tourguide said...

Obviously I didn't mean the cops were robbed in that last post. They are, however shot at and killed at what seems to be a higher rate than in other cities.

Rambler said...

No offfense Tourguide, but when I said those members of the extreme left....

A politician can only do so much. A politican is not going to stop child abuse. A politician is not going to stop people from abandoning their children. A gradual cultural shift away from the glorifiction of reckless behavior that encourages kids having kids and dismisses the value of education is the only hope.

Rambler said...

And of course the problems I cited are not limited to the underclass. The main point is the value of life (and I don't mean that with regards to abortion) has been greatly diminished for myriad of reasons over the last fifty years and I'm not sure how that clock gets turned back.

Anonymous said...

Well Goddamnit Rambler, figured youd sing the praises of that terrorist. He didn't fool most of us down here. Just another smooth talking yankee liberal. Like you. Damnit Rambler! What have you done to us? Goddamn it!