Saturday, May 10, 2008

My Cat Has A Lampshade On His Head

Woke up this morning and Fluff was not in his customary spot by my head. Nor was he waiting for me in the bathroom. A little investigating found him under the bed. When I prodded him out I saw why. He has this huge blister/boil-like growth in one of his ears.

My first thought was that he'd been bitten sometime during the night since he was fine when I came home from poker. Dragged him into the cat carrier and got him to the vet where the verdict is that he has an ear infection and that the boil/blister thing is a hemotoma. They operate on Monday.

In the meantime, he's back home and finally just crawled out from under the bed and he's trying to navigate eating with this awkward shade on. He was very scared on the way to the vet, panting all the way. There are few things more off-putting than seeing a cat pant.

He's back home now and bumping into things. He also smells because he wet himself on the way back home. Perhaps I shouldn't have stopped at Sal and Carmine's for a couple of slices but hey, I need the food. Plus we then hit the Americana Deli. I figured he should see the establishment that provides the cheese steaks he enjoys so much.

I will have to try to wash him at some point, but he wasn't having any of that for now. He has to wear the shade for a month. That's not going to be fun. I know I can take it off him every now and then, but I'm going to wait for awhile before doing that because he needs to get used to it.

So far Skinny seems to be being respectful of his brother's situation. He may even be a little freaked out by the lampshade. I know I am.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like fluff had quite the stressful day, thankfully, he will recover, be sure to take some pictures of him with the "lampshade"

Gina said...

aw..so sorry about your cat. Lampshade. See, i would start calling him that. Cat's hate me. There was one on my porch tonight, curled up on wicker chair. We he saw me, he freaked out and jumped from the second floor. I never knew they could do that.

Anyway, I do hope the best for Fluff and for you that they don't take you to the cleaners.