Saturday, July 5, 2008

Falling Down

I'm running along Riverside Drive going over the bridge above 125th Street and (as usual) I look at the top of the fence, think about how easy it would be to climb up there and then jump. I picture myself floating for about half-a-second and then hitting the ground with a resounding thud.

I keep running and a few minutes later I trip and fall in slow motion. I first stick my hands out to brace myself, them remembering how I tore up the palms of my hands the last time I tripped while running and worried about breaking my wrists, I quickly turn my hands and try to land on my side. I'm somewhat successful. I only slightly scratch my palms and I get a scrape on the side of my hand. My face tastes some asphalt but fortunately no marks are left. Same for the knees.

Obviously it's a little weird to picture myself jumping off a bridge and then actually falling down just a few seconds later. I decided midway through the fall that I don't want to actually go that way. Too much time for regret.

The part I left out was that the reason I fell (I think) is that instead of paying attention to the sidewalk I was busy checking myself out in the reflections of the car windows while I was running.

Needless to say, the whole experience brought me crashing back to earth, in a good way.

1 comment:

Gina said...

It's a wonderful life!

i had a BF who was going to throw himself over the edge of the Coronado bridge once. His situation was bleak and he was so sick of fighting illness. He said that he got all the way up there and looked down at the water far below, and contemplated his sitation. Decided to pick up the hotline help phone at the top of the bridge to see if the operator could offer him any hope. She said didn't believe him. That he really shouldn't be misusing the phones up there. To just move along. He was so annoyed that he changed his mind and walked back down.

Good thing you have the sense about these things. Sometimes I think these things happen to knock some sense into us. More courageous to live through everything life throws at you.