Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Life Lessons

Part of Rambler's job is booking people to speak or be interviewed. Having landed a fairly prominent executive, I wanted to get someone good to conduct the interview, someone who is very familiar with the executive and his company rather than just have the interview conducted by our in-house leader who sometimes doesn't exactly ask probing or challenging questions that our audience would like to hear.

I orchestrated a decent approach to try to put my subversive plan for good content into play, suggesting to our leader that the executive had proposed having this outsider do the interview. I knew the odds were long, our leader likes to be out front and said executive is prominent in the business to which we cater. Still I thought I'd had a pretty good shot.

Rejected!

My leader said she would like to conduct the interview because her doing it is important from a (not making this up) content branding perspective.

Huh?

I'm just trying to put together a compelling, or at least not totally boring, event. One way to do that is to have good interviewers. That, to me, is how one builds a brand.

But, as a colleague pointed out, this is a reminder that "the point isn't what's best for the organization...the point is what's best for the people who run it."

3 comments:

Gina said...

So... the said speaker really had nothing to do with the outsider. Clever Rambler. Said Leader
sounds more like Captain James T. Kirk of the Starship Enterprise:
"Can't...risk...losing...control!"

July 16, 2008 8:05 PM

Xmastime said...

sounds like the country for the last 8 years

Anonymous said...

So, too late to do a roundtable? That might achieve both ends.