Monday, July 14, 2008

This Bud's For Who?

First they came for our auto manufacturers
And I didn't speak up

Then they came for our real estate
And I didn't speak up

Then they came for our studios
And I didn't speak up

Then they came for our strippers
And I didn't speak up

Then they came for our beer
And I'd stopped drinking so who cares?

OK, tried to have a little fun there. Seriously, it does bug me that Anheuser-Busch is now owned by InBev. It just doesn't seem right. I know, Bud is piss. But it's our piss. Far be it from me to stand in the way of free trade and the folks at Bud and their shareholders can do whatever they want. And lord knows Warren Buffet needs a couple more billion too. So much for August Busch IV's line of bull in April that A-B wouldn't be sold on his watch.

I haven't been this sad since Monty Burns sold the power plant to the Germans.

10 comments:

tourguide said...

For better or for worse, Bud is the quintessential American beer. Seeing them sell their horse piss in Europe gave me an odd feeling of empire, the way Coke does (are they next?) I think of the scene after the helicopter invasion in Vietnam in Apocalypse Now, which they had turned into a beach party, complete with (one presumes) Budweiser. A giant pile of these cans said to the conquered that America has been here, a huge, wasteful and powerful empire that not only conquers countries, but cultures as well. All we needed to do is to open up a McDonald's on the Ho Chi Minh trail and that war would have been over.

Anonymous said...

Dit Bud is voor u.

Cette Bud est pour vous.

Anonymous said...

Really? You're having "fun with" equating a loss of jobs with the Holocaust??

Anonymous said...

And THEN they came for our fun.

Every party needs a pastor, that's why we invited you, Neimoller.I wonder if he'd like Budweiser.

I also wonder if the dear man, rest his soul, would take offense to the many contemporary variations on his Anti-Nazi themed poem. Is it really so horrible to use his work as a model for a humorous poem? Not like this one has ANYTHING to do with the holocaust. Not like the original work was scripture. Just because it's encripted on a stone in New England Holocaust Memorial (Wikipedia). Take it easy.

Anonymous said...

i would be very concerned about the Taliban buying up "a few companies of ours"...many implications.

Rambler said...

Someone probably also got upset at the New Yorker cover this week.

Gina said...

kind of surprised you didn't blog about that one.

Rambler said...

I didn't think the cover worked but I'm not all up in arms about. Jon Stewart's rant pretty much covered how I felt. It gave the media navelgazers (I so want to use drive by media, say what you will about Limbaugh, that's a great expresson) something to babble about for a few days.

Gina said...

drive by media...

shoot first and ask questions later?

Anonymous said...

You do realize that the most ironic (tragic?) part of the takeover was that InBev insists that it won't change the formula. You mean that they won't IMPROVE the beer? That sucks, since sometimes it is the only thing that I can get from the vendors at the ball park.