Friday, August 24, 2007

No Peace To Be Found

It turned very hot and humid this afternoon. Headed down the Village for some hard luck. Passed a graffiti tagged building along West Fourth Street, a rarity in this day and age. I was actually glad to see it. I've been accused of living in the past and I'm probably a little guilty of that, but it beats regretting the past.

Anyway, you know you're old when someone is talking about booking bands at the Ritz and they feel the need to explain what the Ritz was. But shit 80% of the people there probably didn't know. I'm listening to a little G `n' R right now and it's been a long time since I've heard some of this shit and it is taking my mind places I probably shouldn't go.

After my little journey down to the darkness I hopped the subway back uptown. It'll be another lovely weekend of construction bullshit on the 1-2-3. I'm really getting tired of it.

The streets were livelier than usual tonight. Broadway had a little danger edge to it like it used to not too long ago. I was, as usual, both somewhat nervous and somewhat excited by the tension and noise that the heat and humidity can bring to New York. Sidewalks were full of people too sweaty to be inside their SRO rooms, chugging their beer on their stoops rather than retreating to their rooms that have no air and torn blankets over the windows. They mix with the gentrifiers who are heading into hideous hi-rises whose very existence is an insult to the architectural sense of the neighborhood. Guess which group scares me more.

And how do I fit into this gorgeous mosaic? I don't know. I'm not in a hideous hi-rise and believe it or not I once did live in an SRO. Long story, for another time. I'm in between. I'm a Richard Price character in waiting. Kenny makes a move! Seriously, I haven't figured out my role in this universe. I just want to get off my ass one of these days and try to write a little noir. That was the point of this thing. Get into the habit of posting some stuff on a regular basis in the hopes that it will finally spark something in me to write for real. First these voices need to shut the fuck up.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This article "Ain't No Peace to be Found" is an easy and relatively enjoyable read however it is a misnomer. I'm not sure why what's written conveys "No Peace to be Found". Maybe something like "Aint no rhyme or reason to to myriad ongoings of a lazy, city night in August". Regardless, I thought it was okay but could be enhanced by an absence of pejoratives.

Gina said...

is that "J" actually pronounced?

Gina said...

how do you fit in? Another one of of God's lonely men...sounds like.

Jesus is the Prince of Peace, Rambler. Ask and you shall receive.
Are ya Jewish?

Rambler said...

Yes, the Rambler is Jewish. Long story.