Thursday, August 16, 2007

It's About What???

Listening to The Police today and chuckling at how many people still think "Every Breath You Take" is a love song. I remember when it came out and how girls would swoon everytime it came on the radio. Then one day I actually listened to the lyrics and thought, `dude sounds like a stalker to me.'

And it is the classic stalker song.

Every breath you take
And every move you make
Every bond you break, every step you take
Ill be watching you

Every single day
And every word you say
Every game you play, every night you stay
Ill be watching you

Oh, cant you see
You belong to me?
How my poor heart aches
With every step you take
Every move you make
Every vow you break
Every smile you fake, every claim you stake
Ill be watching you


If I wrote that in a note so someone there would be a restraining order on my door before I pressed the send button!

I know commenting on a 24-year old song (geez, that old!!!) is hardly an exciting post but it popped in my head and got me thinking that it would be interesting to put together a list of all the misunderstood songs. Of course, before too long it'd be a like the dissection of "Like a Virgin" from the opening scene of "Reservoir Dogs." That reminds me, time to rent that one again.

2 comments:

BayonneMike said...

Eric Clapton's Wonderful Tonight is considered "romantic" but the lyrics are about a guy who has to be helped home by his wife because he's too drunk.

Born in the U.S.A was also widely misunderstood.

Angelissima said...

I still laugh thinking about Ronnie Reagan wanting to use "Born in the U.S.A." as his campaign theme song.