Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Mutterings from the Mezzanine

Been a few days and while I have nothing big to say, I feel I need to at least put something out there just in case any one's wondering if I'm lying on the floor of my apartment while Fluff and Skinny gnaw at my bones.

I'm not although it's hot enough to make that a viable option. I could say I've been busy, but I haven't. I've maybe been a little preoccupied trying to figure out the career thing. I'm not challenged in this job and there are a lot of headaches but the flip side is that it is a comfortable work environment and there are worse places to be at right now. Not everyone can claim that their "transistiional job" pays than more than 30% what their other job did. I realize if I leave there may be a $$$ cut involved and while I'll take a cut, I don't want an amputation.

I know. NEVER TAKE A PAY CUT. Ya know, that's just not always realistic. Fortunately, for better or for worse I'm a single guy who is now debt free and confident enough that if I have to take a step back in the short-term, it'll work in the long-term.

Of course, I don't know that I'll have to take a cut. I'm assuming. I'm--to use the phrase of a friend of mine--blowing up the bridge before I even cross it. Let the cards be dealt and then worry about how to play it.

Maybe if I had a life outside of this then I'd better appreciate and focus on it and be very pleased that I had a normal job. But I don't have those things right now. Not whining about it, that's just the way it is for now. And anyway, I've foolishly always chosen career over women, etc. It's a bad habit and one I hope to be free of along with this insanity that my self worth is measured by my paycheck. Actually, not so much by my paycheck but by who signs it. See, I was until recently in a position that seemed more like a "calling" vs. a job. Now, I realize that's crap but I was full of self-importance and grandiosity. I worked for the equivalent of the Yankees in my profession and now...

But none of that matters. Of course, knowing it in one's head and accepting it are two different things. I'll get there.

OK, enough with the job crap. Rescue Me is still too over-the-top. Mad Men is getting better and The Bronx is Burning is great. If anyone can tell me what else the nasal-voiced guy who plays one of the beat reporters has been in I'll be extremely grateful. It's driving me crazy.

The heat is supposed to continue through the weekend, which means the lovely garbage smells will also be percolating up and down Broadway. Hmmm, might be a good time to empty the cat box too. Maybe after the laundry. In other words, SSDD.

3 comments:

Gina said...

"It's a bad habit and one I hope to be free of along with this insanity that my self worth is measured by my paycheck. Actually, not so much by my paycheck but by who signs it. See, I was until recently in a position that seemed more like a "calling" vs. a job. Now, I realize that's crap but I was full of self-importance and grandiosity. I worked for the equivalent of the Yankees in my profession and now..."


Hey waaaaita minute...is this really George Costanza?

Same suds, different dirt?

Rambler said...

same sh.t different day...

Not quite george although i identifyu...not short, stocky and bald though

Angelissima said...

I find your honesty refreshing, Herr Rambler.