Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Scooter R.I.P.

Phil "The Scooter" Rizzuto is gone. While he'd been in poor health for years, it is still a little bit of a shock. I spent the latter half of the 1970s listening to Rizzuto cover Yankee games and moonlight for Meatloaf in one of the most memorable cameos on vinyl ever!!!

Scooter wasn't exactly the sharpest analyst in the broadcast booth but he had a relaxing manner and I can think of fewer happier memories than listening to him and Bill White and Frank Messer calling games in the summer of 78. I thought Rizzuto was going to have a heart attack when Bucky jacked one over the green monster. I swear he said he was pissing in his pants. Maybe it wasn't him, maybe it was me. Memories are a weird thing. Back then, unless I've lost it completely, the commentators would rotate between the TV and radio booth and I'm pretty sure Rizzuto was on the radio when Dent hit the homer. And why was I listening to the radio instead of watching it on TV? I was out in the street playing with some other kids. At least that is the way I remember it but maybe I'm wrong. I'm pretty sure we got out of school, went to a friend's house (actually I didn't like this kid, but anyway) and we were playing ball on Godfrey Road.

If it turns out I'm way off on who was in the radio booth at that time or way off and it turns out I wasn't even on Godfrey but actually stuck in the small apartment on Roosevelt Place, don't tell me. I'd rather live in the false memory.

Anyway, this is a long way of saying goodbye to Scooter!

6 comments:

Gina said...

I remember the man from some sock commercial..or maybe it was
yes...the money store!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDQHQkuv9l0

I have those kind of memories...not sure if they are dreams. My grandmother chasing me under a bed with a broom and I rolled out the other side and ran down the stairs. Feels real. Coulda been.

Angelissima said...

Holy COW!
He was the everyman...and not afraid to show his fragile side.

NPR did him justice. Try and get the podcast if you can.

Angelissima said...

I LOVE NONNA!!!

Angelissima said...

How about that Joe Garagiola. What a team...those were the days.
ps: I'm still a Mets fan.

Rambler said...

Mets??? Hate those black jerseys!

Gina said...

It was the other one,Ang. Gramma up in Pennsylvania. I gotta let it go. Prolly just a dream.


Where can I get an 'Everyman'? They don't seem to be all that common. Mostly geezers by the time they get that comfortable with the fragile side. I need a geezer!!