Monday, August 20, 2007

Scooping!

I really need to find a new gig. I'm not hating my job, but I don't love it and I also see that the future of the institute where I toll is not long. It has a few years left for sure, but like George Costanza I want to leave them wanting more.

Problem is I don't know what I want to do. A friend suggested making a list suggesting all the things I want to do in my next job. I suggested she make the list for me and I'd check things off but she didn't go for that idea.

Right now I want something simple. I seriously would be happy scooping ice cream. I think it is not uncommon for people in my situation to suddenly long for a service position. I'm tired of offices, tired of office politics, tired of asking people to do things, tired of waiting for people to say yes or no. If I ask someone what flavor they want and they say vanilla, I don't have to say can you get another flavor because the guy behind you wants vanilla too. That really didn't work as an example of what I do now but basically I plan events for a so-called think tank although no thinking is being done.

It is thankless, frustrating and ass-kissing. And I'm paid well for it and I feel guilty about that too. BTW, I'm serious about ice cream or some kind of retail thing. I've always wanted to own something. Used to be a bar, but those days are gone. Now I dream of a laundromat or a newsstand or a candy shop. I used to want to be a detective and I still think I'd be a good one but I'm a little too old to try out for the force.

I guess what I'm saying is I want to start all over again. Now if I can just pay 1987 rents too.

3 comments:

Trish said...

I've been reading here for a while and I enjoy your blog. It's never too late to try something new, or to chase after a long-cherished dream, in my opinion. I wish you the best of luck. Don't feel guilty about making good money!!!

The ice cream guy thing, though I think you're kidding, you would probably tire of pretty soon. Working with the public sucks!

Rambler said...

Thanks for reading! Maybe ice cream for a few weeks...just to recharge! I don't know what the dream is, that's the problem.

Gina said...

how bout a Ice Cream truck?!

Wouldn't that be the coolest thing?

Say yes.

I remembering wanting to waitress for a living. So I did....at the BayHead Yacht club. Bunch of stuck up rich brats. I was thinking "What the heck...these people are getting all uptight over ketchup and water and all kinds of trivial BS when there are people dying out there!!"

I was asked nicely not to come back after dumping ice tea on some ladie's one of kind frock.

GO for it, Rambler. Set your sails and just do it. While you can. YOu can ALWAYS go back. Use your imagination....