Monday, June 30, 2008

Prize-Worthy?

So it turns out that Gene Weingarten, who won a Pulitzer for writing a story for the Washington Post about what happens when a professional violinist plays in a subway station, wasn't the first to come up with that stunt.

In 1930, a reporter for the Chicago Evening Post did the same thing--stuck a world-reknown musician on the street to play and see if anyone notices. No one is accusing Weingarten of anything. He was unaware of that article and does find it amusing that he has a Pulitzer awarded in part for "originality."

While this little tidbit certainly again proves the old adage there are no new stories, only new reporters, that is not why I'm rambling about this.

I'm just curious why this was a Pulitzer prize-winning story in the first place. The point was that no one really reacted to this violinist. He wasn't recognized and most people went on their way to work and he only made a couple of bucks. Is this really shocking? There was a time when classical musicians were the "rock stars" of their day. And believe me, they can be just as fucked up as Keith Richards. But these days short of Yo-Yo Ma, most are going to have a hard time getting picked out of a line-up. Same thing with jazz. Go throw Oscar Peterson in a subway system with a casio and see what happens. Well, actually Oscar's dead so that probably would get some attention, but you get the idea.

What's Weingarten's next big story, secretly replacing the coffee you are drinking with Folgers Crystals?

3 comments:

Gina said...

Maybe the 'Legend of the Rent' was way past due?

"All right, now that was a perfectly decent rock song.
Oh, yeah. I was this close to getting a chair on the Polish Philharmonic,
and I nailed the audish, but I didn't get it. Guess who did.
Yo-Yo Ma's cousin, little "nepotis".
Anyway, I just decided to give up and become a teacher,
because those that can't do, teach.
And those that can't teach, teach gym. Am I right ? I'm just joshing".

But people will go to all lengths when strapped for cash. I sold 100 CDs for 50 bucks at Jacks Music a couple of years back. I just read something on a Mr. Corey Haim. The poor dude had hit an all time low, trying to sell his rotted out molar on Ebay. That poor soul.

Haven't read Weingarten's article but it doesn't seem strange that a professional violinist would play in the subway. They had em playing in the lobby of a hospital I worked at once. Sad stuff.

Gina said...

" A Special Citation to Bob Dylan for his profound impact on popular music and American culture, marked by lyrical compositions of extraordinary poetic power"...what exactly is a citation? He got a Pulitzer Citation. Doesn't sound as glitzy. Is a citation something like an 'honorary diploma'?

well it'd be nice to see him playin in the subway. i guess the one to arrange that would get the prize then ? would be nice to see some musicians pay proper tribute the streets. Todd Rundgren, for example. I actually did see him at the Stone Pony. Tossed a couple of bucks on the stage for old time sake. "Throw money!" He said it brought back memories of his early days going it alone on the streets of Philly'.

:)

Anonymous said...

"But these days short of Yo-Yo Ma, most are going to have a hard time getting picked out of a line-up"

I wonder if that is why he calls himself Yo-Yo?

You are correct. I know him, due to his name, and Linda Lampenius (Finnish violinist) because she posed nude in Playboy and fiddling ain't her only talent. A funny name and bodacious assets, not musical talent, which I am sure both have, is why I know them both and no others in the classical field.

A guess that makes me an ulcultured malcontent as well as an immature perv as I still have the Playboy in question.

I do enjoy classical music, especially live. But I will be honest in that I could not discern the talent level of the NY Philarmonic compared to the Shreveport Symphony Orchestra.

Oh yea, Monica was a good cellist as well....hubba hubba.

What was the question?