Monday, June 23, 2008

Well, Duh!!!

Cable mogul John Malone wonders why television networks put their content free on the web.

"I think the idea that they're going to put television shows and movies on the Internet and bypass their traditional distribution and have no way collecting revenues is absurd."

I don't know, John. It seems to be working for the newspaper industry. Oh, wait...I just read this article for free on the Financial Times website.

Seriously, they do it because if they don't then some fucker steals it and puts it up there anyway. This way, the programmers have at least a chance to get some revenue out of it.

Malone, of course, now controls satellite broadcaster DirecTV so he is one of those traditional distributors who is paying for shit that is being offered for free online.

I guess I must be missing the biz since a few of my last posts have been about that rather than my usual life lessons. Oh well, why not show my range. Hey, he can write about strap-ons and the media industry. Now that's legendary.

1 comment:

Gina said...

oh, he's still pissed about those commercials depicting his beloved dishware hanging by a thread off some balcony, or blown to the ground in a windstorm. Things have quieted down over the competition's marketing department, and now he's wondering when the other shoe is gonna fall.