Thursday, September 6, 2007

In The Criminal Justice System....

Got called for Jury Duty. Went down today for day one. Got called into a pool for a civil suit. Woman was suing the MTA. Lawyer for her was thin, young blonde guy who reminded me of Aaron Eckhart in "Thank You For Smoking." Lawyer for MTA looked like Chi McBride.

Anyway, I was first called and first questioned and I actually thought I'd make the cut. I acknowledged that while some cases seem dubious, without knowing all the facts in a verdict, it's tough to pass judgement. I waxed on about being a former reporter who was used to listening to all sides and then trying to evaluate what I've heard to put together a story. Blah blah blah.

I didn't make the cut and I'm glad. Now I realize though why I didn't make the cut. Lawyers don't want anyone at a jury who thinks too much and I guess it was pretty clear that I think a lot.

For someone who thinks a lot, I can be pretty naive sometimes.

Still, I found the whole thing pretty interesting. Most people were grumbling about being there, etc. but I don't know, I kind of felt that I should take it seriously and do my part. Plus there were one or two cute girls there.

I'm back tomorrow but if I don't get picked I'm done. The wheels of justice spin indeed.

1 comment:

Gina said...

What's your story, kid? A reporter, eh? Prolly thinks too much. Get him outta here.