Sunday, September 9, 2007

More Will Be Revealed...

Life is complicated. There are times when we are in situations that are not to our liking but we have no control over them. What we do have control over is how we react in these situations. Sometimes, the best thing (not the easiest thing) is to swallow whatever it is we don't necessarily want to swallow and do what we can to make the situation more tolerable. In other words, if you can't change it, accept that it is how it is supposed to be. That is better than stewing in it because the only one who suffers when you do that is you.

But having said that, one also has to decide how to take these experiences and learn from them and decide whether they want to put themselves in those situations again. Is the risk worth the reward and is this something that in the long-term is in one's best interest?

A small example of what I mean. I got up real early so I could get to the gym when it opened. That meant getting up around 6 a.m or so because I wanted to do something else first. I got to the gym right at 9 a.m. when they opened except they weren't open (this was a Sunday). I work out at Ballys. I know, Ballys is not exactly the BMW of gyms. That said, I have been a member for years and I only pay about $200 a year to go there. That means I tolerate that the service is lacking there and this Sunday not opening on time thing is hardly an unusual event.

I waited outside the gym for awhile (with a bunch of other people). Eventually I decided I could keep waiting knowing my workout time was becoming shorter and shorter (I had somewhere else to be by 10:30 or so) or I could get some breakfast. I went to breakfast and then after I ordered I looked out the window and, of course, the gym had been opened.

It was that kind of day. Whatever plans I had were irrelevant to how my day was going to play out. I rolled with it all the best I could while trying to figure out what I can do in the future. Part of life is recognizing what I can't change (that Ballys opens late), but the other part is recognizing what I can change (join a better gym) and figuring out how to do it. The hard part sometimes is figuring out which is which.

Well, that is a lot to ponder for one night. On a separate note, first episode of the new season of Curb Your Enthusiasm was pretty funny.

No comments: