Sunday, September 9, 2007

Reading Materials

I have too many books. Just bought another Jason Starr book. Still have two Henning Mankell books, a Lee Childs and I won't even mention the Joshua Ferris book I can't get seem to get through. I know I'll plow through the Starr book. It's "dick lit," as a friend put it. But the others will take time. I like Lee Childs but he is a little too macho tough guy for my tastes sometimes. He is similar to Andrew Vachss in that way. I read a bunch of Vachss and then cooled to him. They're both great, don't get me wrong, but all of these things are formula to a degree. Believe me, I wish I had the formula. It's similar to my previous gig. There was a formula to certain stories and I could never master the formula.

Come to think of it life is a formula too. I'm getting a little better at that. I know I'm better at it than I was a few years ago but I still have a long way to go.

Interestingly, I seem to have also lost the Bukowski bug as I didn't rush to the cashier at Barnes & Noble the other day when I saw a book of more posthumous poems. Well that's not really a surprise, truth is I think it has more to do with the fact that he's been dead now for 13 years and since he pretty much had a low threshold for what works of his he'd publish while alive, the stuff that has been coming out since he died has got to be pretty weak if he didn't want it out when he was still breathing.

Anyway, I have lots of books to try to read (not to mention the usual consumption of four newspapers a day) and hopefully I'll get to it, but I also watch too much TV, goof off too much on the Internet, etc.

No comments: