Sunday, September 16, 2007

Make a Right a Mile Before the First Light

Went out to East Williamsburg/West Bushwick/whatever new name they've come up with for the area around Grand Street where the L train stops. Anyway, having never been to my friend's house I got off the subway and headed towards the business district but couldn't find the street I was looking for.

So I did what anyone does, I asked for directions. I went to two bodegas and asked where Waterbury Street was. I got blank stares back. I think I would've gotten the same response if I asked these guys what street they were on right now. I wonder if a van didn't just pick them up blindfold them and dump them behind the counter and then they get picked up at the end of the day.

Fortunately a local dry cleaner that clearly had been in the neighborhood for longer than ten minutes, actually knew where the street I was looking for was and directed me. It wasn't some small street, that's what is depressing. A city of neighborhoods is now a city of faceless and clueless businesses.

Yeah, that was another old man rant from yours truly, I've found my niche and I'm sticking to it.

1 comment:

Gina said...

It's hard enough for you old men to stop and ask directions...