Sunday, December 9, 2007

The Back Story

On Friday I stopped by my hair salon and got my free clean up. I also, apparently for being a longtime customer, was offered a free massage. Since I can't turn down anything that is free, I said sure. Plus, it was a girl, not a guy so I didn't have to worry about anything moving.

Unfortunately, massages are wasted on me (especially the ones without the happy ending). I have a very sensitive back. Other than my shoulders and my lower back, I pretty much can't be touched. I don't know what that is about. There is no physical trauma back story there. It has been like that as long as I remember. I have always thought that when I find the woman that can touch my back, I've found my match.

And since most massage therapists spent the bulk of their time on the middle of the back (despite my initial warning and clear squeamishness when she did go there), I spent most of the time being uncomfortable. However, when she did my arms and hands, that was great. She had all this lotion on my hands and her hands were sliding around my hands and it was all I could do to not squeeze her hands a little bit while she was rubbing mind.

It didn't matter that the therapist was not my type. It did not matter that I wasn't attracted to her, or even that nothing was stirring below the waistline. I was being touched and wanted it to mean something.

But alas, she soon went back to my back and I went back to clenching.

4 comments:

Angelissima said...

poignant...the squeezing her hand part. sort of ironic...the freebie...the back issue. Oh the sadness and longing.
-----------------
unrelated:
the back is the most sensitive area on the body...or is it the back is the cleanest area on the body?

I don't think you're alone with this no touchie thing.
I was dating this guy and I gave him a gift certificate for a massage for some occassion and he was HORRIFIED. Didn't want any strangers touching him or something. He was brutal about it too. Very selfish person. Poor social graces.

I was like, yo. Give it back, I don't have a problem with a strangers hands manipulating me into nirvana.
I LOVE massage. If you get someone really good, you will be lost in a semi-conscience state for 2 hours or so.

Anyway, he's not the only person I know who has this issue. I guess there is something to it.

Do you have a problem when someone hugs you? If they went around your chest, sort of under your arms to the back, would that present a problem?

I like to correlation to the Cinderella story. "I know my perfect match will be the girl who can touch my back"

Interesting.

Gina said...

ya know, I dated a guy who has this idea that he will know 'the ONE' when he can visualize her having to undergo a mastectomy and could love her in spite of having no breasts. I thought...hmmm....does that rule stand for the woman with meager assets to begin with? I recently told him that perhaps he was demanding too much from himself, to think he could feel as strongly about a woman without her breasts. I mean, ideally, a woman needs to know a man would love her in whatever condition she wound up in, but i think that even the most devoted man would have to adjust to the disfigurement. I suggested he imagine her without a limb. Fair enough.

Gina said...

i don't like people touching my face and can understand your squeamishness with the back. Maybe it has to do with not being able to see what they are up to...not being able to reach back there as well. Sort of a...weak spot.

Gina said...

i don't like people touching my face and can understand your squeamishness with the back. Maybe it has to do with not being able to see what they are up to...not being able to reach back there as well. Sort of a...weak spot.