Thursday, December 13, 2007

Why Not Marvin Harrison?

My nephew wants a Randy Moss jersey. Guy lives in Maryland. Doesn't like the Redskins, likes the Ravens, wants a Randy Moss jersey. Randy Moss is a tremendous talent, no doubt. But couldn't my nephew want Marvin Harrison instead?

Marvin Harrison is the Art Monk of this century. While Harrison is probably a little more talented than Monk was, like Monk he does not seek out the spotlight. He does not get mentioned in the same breath as Moss or Owens. He does not make a jackass out of himself on ESPN. He does his job. He is breaking records left and right (I know, he's hurt right now), and yet he toils in anonymity.

Unfortunately, people who just do their jobs don't always get the props.
Now, I know Harrison likes keeping a low-profile. He doesn't talk a lot. He doesn't play that game. And that's cool. But that doesn't mean that when the writers and broadcasters are talking about who's the best and picking what highlights to show, they should give the shaft to Harrison just because he doesn't dance around. So while I get my nephew a number 81, I think I'll tell him abuot number 88.

No comments: