Thursday, June 7, 2007

Checking In

OK, I haven't written in a few days and although I haven't been doing this long enough to establish a pattern, I do want to get in the habit of posting with some regularity even if I don't think I have anything to say.

So the reason Rambler's been quiet is that his no show job turned into a real job several months ago. No show is not quite fair. The job just had a different pace and feel than my previous one, which had more daily pressure.

But that's changed. This job has suddenly gotten intense. Not sure how I feel about that but I can't have it both ways. I can't complain that it is too slow and I'm not challenged (which I did) and then when it gets busy and I'm stressed complain that it's out of control.

That said, I was there until after midnight the other day (and I got in at 7 a.m. that morning) so I'm still pretty spent. Haven't even had time to cruise the net in search of 30 seconds of entertainment that I haven't seen anywhere yet.

I also wanted to post something because I'm headed out of town next week on business and I doubt I'll write much while I'm away. It is going to be more work.

Now mind you, just because I'm very busy doesn't mean that I'm being challenged. There are challenges, but the challenges tend to be more along the lines of how much sucking up and ass kissing can I do without exploding. This gig requires a lot of political skills and I deal with people with egos bigger than they should be. I dealt with a lot of these same egos in my old job but in that gig, I was the one who was needed, courted, schmoozed, etc. In this job, I have to do all that. It's a definite ego check.

That's life though. I am where I am and it is exactly where I am supposed to be right now. I just want to do a good job so I can feel good. I get paid well and there is no reason to cop an attitude. That said, sometimes it is frustrating. Imagine if your fingers all acted independently of each other and you'll start to get an idea what my office is like.

BTW, for those wondering, besides the fact that I moved around a lot in my not quite so young anymore life, the other reason I've opted for the moniker of Rambler is because growing up my family owned a 1958 Rambler station wagon. It rusted out pretty quick (Detroit winters, plus my dad apparently was unaware what that thing at the end of the driveway with the big door and all that space inside was for) and ended up in our backyard and I was a kid I used to play in it a lot. I'm trying to find a picture of that wagon (not the one we actually owned, that got turned into scrap 35 years ago or so) to throw on the site, those babies had cool fins!

Yanks-White Sox tied at 1-1 in the top of the 8th with Jeter at the plate. He walked on four straight balls.

I see with some amusement that Paris is out of jail. That was fast. Oh well, probably better for all the other inmates. Now lock up her mom, Lindsey Lohan's mom, etc.

I'm reading the new book on Warren Zevon. He's one of those guys I always felt I should listen to but never did. I was in LA recently and bought a couple of his CDs and liked them. He was a piece of work. The book is good but man what an SOB. Oh well, trust the art, not the artist.

Also got some Mozart and some Bach. I'm trying to expand my horizons. Unfortunately it doesn't feel that way when Bach's "greatest hits" shows up in the mail. Might as well be from K-Tel. Love the music though, very calming at my crazy job.

My cat keeps yapping. Actually, I have two cats. They've both turned into yappers. Wild pitch moves Jeter to second. I'll see what happens this inning before signing off and going to bed. Need toothpicks to keep my eyelids open. No, I don't care that it is the White Sox pitcher's 100th pitch. BTW, he gave up an infield hit and now runners on first and third. I realize this game will be long over by the time someone--anyone--reads this but what the heck, it's my blog and later when I reread this I can imagine exactly what I was doing at this time. Hmmm, maybe that's not such a good idea.

OK folks, I'm checking out for now. Will try to get something up over the weekend.

No comments: