Saturday, June 2, 2007

Go Pistons!

Sitting here watching the Pistons-Cavs game. Honestly, I'm not a big basketball fan and I moved out of Detroit when I was eight years old. Still, anything that can bring a little joy to my fading and depressed hometown. I also rooted for the Tigers (although in all honesty these days I pay more attention to the Yankees), but never the Lions. The Rambler moved around a lot as a kid, hence the name. Started in Detroit, then Jersey, then D.C. Fortunately for me, by the time I got into football we were living in D.C. and the Redskins were just ending the Jack Pardee era and headed into the Joe Gibbs era (chapter one) although to be honest I initially followed the Colts because I liked Bert Jones. Yes, the Rambler is dating himself now.

Anyway, I guess I'm fair weather when it comes to the Pistons. Last time I caught up in them was the bad boys days of Dumars, Rodman, Isiah, Vinnie Johnson, etc. But here I sit on a Saturday night hoping at least that they can get by Cleveland before losing to San Antonio.

I'm watching this game from LA where I'm spending the weekend and used to live for awhile (Rambler, remember?). I'm visiting a friend and flying back to New York tomorrow. Just shelled out $160 to change my flight! You believe that? And for that I'm in the middle row in the back of the plane. But the idea of getting in at 12:30 a.m. and not home until 1:30 or so was a little too daunting at my rapidly advancing age.

Not really sure where I'm going with this post. I just started this thing and while I hope it will eventually turn into a coherent stream of conscious about culture, the media, sports, life and myself, for now I just want to get into the habit of posting and blasting it out there even if I'm the proverbial tree falling in the forest.

OK, dinner is served and Detroit is looking down for the count. Bummer.

1 comment:

ves said...

I feel for you. I was rooting for Sheed (and his bald patch), Hamilton (and his nose and face guard) and Billups (and his ego) -- but they just didn't play. Kid Rock looked devastated too.

In the matchup between Cavs Spurs will have to go with L.J.