Saturday, June 30, 2007

Not If, When.

Disturbing news from the U.K. with two car bomb attacks narrowly averted and another attack on Scotland's airport. Now I really wasn't planning to use this space for political and national security related rants but it is only a matter of time until we get hit with our first subway or bus attack. I don't rest easily knowing that security has been increased at Times Square. Beefing up the last line of defense does not make me sleep better. Beef up the first line of defense so we don't have to count on extra cops in Times Square and maybe I'll sleep better.

Think of this like a football game. At the end there is usually the hail mary and a bunch of defenders sit back in the end zone waiting to knock down that last desperation heave. My point is that a good defense never lets it come down to the hail mary. Beat your opponent early and often and you won't have to worry about a fluke pass. Don't, and you'll spend your life trying to knock down hail mary throws and as Doug Flutie and Steve Bartowski (there's an old reference for you sports fans) will tell you, sometimes those bad boys get caught for touchdowns no matter how many people you got in the end zone.

I'm not here to talk about why what is happening in London is happening or its root causes or what policies may be leading to this or that. I'm talking about the reality that sooner or later it'll happen here (again). I think about it every time I'm on the subway. Doesn't mean I don't ride the subway. But the thoughts do cross my mind and I don't feel better when I have my bag checked. If you are counting on that to stop the act that's like counting on (another football analogy coming up) your place kicker to nail a 54-yard field goal at the final gun. Yeah, it can happen but nine out of ten times he comes up short.

OK, rant done. Went to see that Ben Kingsley movie "You Kill Me." I was very disappointed. It was a good idea that wasn't executed all that well. He was fine but the Tea Leoni character was completely unbelievable. The AA subplot was really just a gimmick but the film, to its credit, didn't take cheap shots at the twelve steppers. It was mostly an affectionate portrait. I'd go on about the movie and maybe I will at another time but lets just say it didn't really work and it sure seemed a lot longer than ninety minutes.

But while the movie blew, I saw it with an old friend and we had a nice dinner afterwards so all was not lost. Friend put up with my dry cleaner stories and other lame efforts. Oh, and they had technical problems at the theatre before the movie started so I got a pass to see a free movie. Of course, I go to about three movies a year so maybe I'll use it in December.

The problem (or one problem anyway) with a blog is ending a post. It's like trying to end a conversation with a girl you are just getting to know and flirting with. You want to leave on a good note, leave them wanting more and not be all awkward. Sometimes I can pull it off, but this is not one of those times so I think I'll just borrow from a famous TV show and just...

3 comments:

Gina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rambler said...

Interesting thing was there was one person in the theatre very stoked about all this. She said it was her third freebie this week, leading me to wonder if she was sabotaging the screenings. Actually it was kind of sad. Thanks for finding, reading and commenting!

Gina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.