Thursday, October 4, 2007

30 Rock???

Again critics are raving about 30 Rock. I don't get it. I watched a few episodes last season and while it wasn't the worst piece of crap I've ever seen it also wasn't all that funny. Yes, Baldwin is great and I have the hots for Jane Krakowski so that's good. But the writing is blah and Tracey Morgan destroys everything in his path. Tina Fey is funny, but she is not an actress.

Critics love this show because it is about the industry, which is exactly why it is not drawing a big audience. See, Mary Tyler Moore was a show about a single working woman who happened to work at a TV station. 30 Rock is about a TV show. The show is typically full of inside jokes that people who work between 42nd and 52nd and certain parts of Los Angeles and the Valley find hilarious. The rest of us just sit there going `huh.' Memo to writers: No one outside of your business knows who Les Moonves is or cares so while your jokes about him are cracking yourselves up, the rest of us just shake our heads.

Tonight Seinfeld is on and Al Gore is filming an episode too. That means 30 Rock has become one of those shows. It's too hip for the rest of us. If it draws the same anemic ratings it did last season, we'll start to hear how it really should be on HBO--code for "the masses are just too stupid to appreciate it."

I'll give it another shot (although I forgot to record tonight's so I guess I'll catch it down the road) and I hope it is better. I like Tina Fey, I want the show to be good. Right now though, it's too obvious, too inside, and too predictable.

Other mini-reviews. I also checked out Pushing Daisies. It was cute but I won't be watching again. Aliens in America was funny, but not as funny as it could have been. Reaper was amusing but I won't be coming back, I'm not the demo and Gossip Girls was exactly what I thought it would be. I'll wait for the Skinamax version.

3 comments:

Xmastime said...

agree 100% re: 30 Rock.

here. said...

love tha rock, despite the unwatchable tracy morgan and the duumb blond chick. got a thing for tina fey (baby episode was beyond hilarious), luv the small town dude, and baldwin blows every scene into tha stratosphere-- and isn't afraid to call a pig a pig!

ope said...

never watched. gonna give it a try tonite.