Sunday, October 28, 2007

A Fool And Her Money Are Lucky Enough To Get Together In The First Place

Popped into a Dunkin Donuts on Broadway and 97th (one of two within a block, when did Dunkin become upscale?) and this woman is yapping on her cellphone in there and actually giving out her credit card number on the phone and then for an encore gave out her cellphone number!

As we increasingly become a cash-free society, the danger of identity theft (which to me is just theft, but anyway that is for another post) will only grow. I got ripped off earlier this year (pretty sure it was my pet store) when my debit card number was stolen. But do we need to make theft even easier by blurting out our card numbers in Dunkin fucking Donuts?

To paraphrase from "Mean Streets," if you're dumb enough to give me money, you deserve to get ripped off."

2 comments:

Gina said...

That is pretty dumb but no dumber than I have been when I paid a builder in advance of his completing work. As a certified fool, I have never been able to come out ahead financially and if given the opportunity, will lose the money through entrusting it to the wrong people who will usually wind up ripping me off. Maybe this time will be different. I have this notion that if I do something different consistantly, things will turn around. It's worth a shot.

Angelissima said...

I found a credit card in Target yesterday. I kept thinking of all the times I've dropped cards, money, keys...and they always been returned.
Of course, I turned in the card - but I kept thinking how easy it would have been for a ne're-do-well to go on a major shopping spree at that moment.

Its scary easy. My husband does all his financial stuff online. I still write checks and use security envelopes...hehe.