Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Going, Going, Gone

Last Sunday's Times had an article about this blogger (VanishingNewYork.Blogspot.com--see link under Peeps) who tracks the continued redevelopment of New York and particularly lower Manhattan as new and hideous condos destroy whatever character is left in this fading metropolis.

Clearly a man after my own heart. However, we do differ on some things. I long for New York of the 1970s, the city I remember as a kid who lived in Jersey and used to come into the city a lot to see my Dad or sneak in with friends when I was in eighth grade. It had that feel of a place where anything could happen. Of course, it's easy now to look at that and forget being that little kid and walking through Times Square terrified. I love romanticizing the past, but sometimes it can go a little overboard. Case in point. I get pissed off when I go for my run in Riverside Park and see new graffiti. How would I have dealt with that in 1975 when the whole park was a mess and if you ran in the park, it's a good bet someone was chasing you? It's beautiful now and I love that.

Jeremiah the blogger wants the 90s. He writes: "The city was edgy but not terrifying. There was a more diverse economic mix among its people and its businesses. The super-wealthy stayed above 14th Street, for the most part, where you could go admire their unusual sartorial choices and tight-jawed facial expressions, like looking at animals in a zoo, then leave them again for your downtown home. Tourists stayed up there, too. No one pushed, blocked, or ignored you because they were busy screaming into a cell phone or thumb-typing a text message. You could smoke in bars and Times Square was Times Square."

I agree with some of this although there was still some bad crime then (anyone remember Brian Watkins?). Like me, some of his concerns sound like the familiar rant of someone who moves into an edgy neighborhood then gets pissed when others follow in his footsteps. It's kind of like bitching that the new Starbucks is destroying your hardscrabble neighborhood. Guess what, Starbucks opened there because you are there.

As for the super-wealthy staying above 14th Street, I would merely point out that the neighborhoods up there (and I live in one and am not super wealthy) are being stripped of their character just as fast, this is not a problem limited to lower Manhattan. In fact, it is because they were stripped down (Hells Kitchen, the Upper West Side, yeah that's right, the Upper West Side and Lincoln Center used to be pretty tough areas)and cleaned up that led to the migration downtown and now it all repeats itself. I live on 100th Street, home to two of the most hideous new condos to ever hit this Island.

Some of his more recent posts really hit home with me about what is happening to the area of 25th through 31st street between Fifth and Seventh Avenue. It's still a funky area with lots of weird wholesale shops and flower marts and even still the occassional flea market but it is going fast.

I used to track gentrification through my friend Keith. Wherever he moved was going to be the "next" neighborhood. It started with Delancy Street in 1990. Then he headed out to Williamsburg, a few years ahead of the slackers and finally he beat the crowds to BedStuy. He's now gentrifying Germany.

Cities are supposed to improve and are supposed to want to draw new residents and new investments but that doesn't mean we have to like it all the time. Yeah, I like that I can ride the subway at all hours and be relatively safe and that the parks and streets are cleaner, but with that comes a loss of character, of edge, of grit, of the very things that make New York...well...New York.

After I left the East Village in 1988, I kind of made it a point to only live in neighborhoods that were not in transition. Yeah, I might be able to afford a great place on 120th and Lenox and yeah, that's a spot to buy right now but I don't want to be the driving force in changing a neighborhood and its demographics. I wrestle with this a lot. I could get more space and save money by moving just 20 blocks North and a few blocks East of where I am but I am very conflicted about it.

Not sure where all this is going. I really just wanted to give a shout out to this guy and while I don't look forward to reading his blog documenting the depressing redevelopment and condoization of New York, I will be reading it while searching for a rerun of Taxi Driver or The Warriors or heck even After Hours.

3 comments:

Angelissima said...

We had our original office on 25th between 6th and 7th. a ramshackle old building with a beat up freight elevator, clanging, hissing steam heat. We all sat in the same room...no cubes and one bathroom you couldn't swing a cat in.
Those were the days.

I LOVE that area. It had that "anything could happen" feeling to it. Don't tell me its going away too.

We moved to NoHo a few years ago (Bleeker and B'way..didn't we call it the Village back in the day?} and hired about 40 more people. Now we have 3 bathrooms, a kitchen and several conference rooms. I still can't get used to its cleanliness, the doorman, the dependable elevator and the Crate and Barrel across the street.

Whenever I mention how much I miss 25th St. they look at me like I'm growing an eye on my forehead. Oh well. Business and life must go on.

Jeremiah Moss said...

Hey there, got your shout out, thanks. The reason I pine for the early 90s is because that's when I arrived and it felt like the balance was just right. Truth be told, I really pine for the 50s, before I was born.

But let's face it, the EV began being gentrified in the 1960s. It began with Kerouac and Ginsberg--when they were priced out of Greenwich Village. One could successfully argue that Starbucks came here because they came here--though I wouldn't dare.

People think my blog is about gentrification and it sort of is and sort of isn't. I think what's happening now goes WAY beyond gentrification. What's happening now is wholesale destruction through a process of making everything the same. It's a whole other level.

Anyway, just wanted to put out a little explanation.

Gina said...

condolization. Wow. I love it!

certain words just do it for me.