Thursday, November 1, 2007

Another Reason Not To Get Up In The Morning

So Don Imus is coming back. Fine. I didn't listen to him before, I won't listen to him now, but I don't have a problem with him coming back.

What I do have a problem with is where he is coming back. Yes, the Rambler listens to Curtis and Kuby in the mornings, the team that Imus will be replacing in a month. I know. Rambler, say it isn't so. Curtis and Kuby? Come on!

Let me explain: I used to listen to Howard in the morning. I had my alarm set for Stern (I was a loyal listener for years). Problem was, Howard would come blasting on and I'd get comfortable lying bed listening to him and the gang (although he lost it in my opinion when he a)got divorced and b)Jackie left) and end up drifting back to sleep.

So I decided I needed something that would force me out of bed and into action and that meant finding something that I would hate to wake up to and I opted for Curtis and Kuby. It worked. I'd get out of bed and turn it off, turn on Howard and go about my day.

But as time wore on and Howard got more into hanging at fancy places with fancy people and less like the the Howard I liked, I started to listen more to Curtis and Kuby and they grew on me. I also like the pace. Every seven minutes I get the weather and traffic (and I'm dying to know what Stephanie DeLuca looks like and if she's married). I enjoy listening to Kuby and Silwa spar. Kuby, for all his left leanings, is pretty rationale on a lot of stuff and Curtis sometimes makes a little sense. I don't even mind Warner Wolf. I now listen to WABC on the weekends too and like it.

That's all going to go away though. I hope the duo ends up on another station. I don't know what I'll do in the mornings because I'm not listening to Imus (no true Howard fan can ever listen to Imus, I may not listen to Howard anymore, but I still have that piece of loyalty to him). Perhaps I'll check out WFAN or maybe just go with WCBS-AM, which has a nice steady pace of news but no fun conversation.

Somehow I'll manage to get by, but just like when Howard jumped the shark, my mornings won't quite be the same anymore.

2 comments:

Angelissima said...

Gee he cometh complete with blogger spam! Another reason to hate him.

I did same thing, tune the radio to something I hate so I'll get up and turn it off. The station I hate the most is Jersey 101.5.

Then my husband turned it to Q-107 or something like that. Jim Kerr is the morning DJ...that guy must be three-hundred years old by now. Anyway, they always play an insidious blood-pumping "classic rock" song at 6 am accompanied by a rooster's cock-a-doodle-do strategically dispersed throughout.
Its working for me.

I don't hate this station. Its actually has a bit of a nostalgic feel-like getting up for school.

Gina said...

Why not rise and shine to some nice lively dance music, Rambler?

Rosemary Clooney, for example.

Hey Mambo! Mambo Italiano!
Hey Mambo! Mambo Italiano!
Go, go, go, you mixed up Siciliano
-- it's -a so delisha,
everybody can capice
how to Mambo Italiano !

Yeah, get ya up and goin', kid.