Thursday, November 15, 2007

Ramble On?

So there is a potential career change opportunity that I am trying to decide whether to pursue.

I know. What's to decide? You sit here bitching all the time about your boring, intellectually void current gig planning events. It's true. Of course, I just had a successful event and once that happens, I tend to forget the two months of nightmares that went into putting it together. Plus I have two other events coming up and that hell is just starting.

But I digress. This job would be somewhat similar to what I do now in that it involves getting guests. The difference is it is in the entertainment industry. Having worked around the fringes of the biz as a reporter and now in my current role doing these industry executive-oriented events, this would be a chance to actually get into the game.

The upside is easy. An opportunity to see the beast from inside the belly. A chance maybe to get on a path that could lead somewhere where I could develop and perhaps use my wit to make a living. (I know, well, why don't you try some wit here first.)

The downside? It's in L.A. Now, I like L.A. I used to live there and I got used to it and actually didn't want to move back here but I did in pursuit of what was then my "dream job." Hmmm, just writing that sentence caused a light bulb to kick on in my head. Interesting.

Anyway, I do like L.A. But my gut tells me not to leave N.Y. I don't know why. In L.A., I don't have to bitch about the number of Duane Reeds in my neighborhood or the new hideous condos going up everywhere. L.A. is one big strip mall without character. There I get upset when a Starbucks closes. You can get a pretty nice apartment though and don't ever downplay the idea of softball in the winter.

The job also would be a pay cut. It would be a deep cut, but not an amputation. L.A. is cheaper than NY, even with the car factored in. You get more for your money.

But I've started to rebuild here. My program is here. Not that they don't have my program there too but I don't like the way they do it. Of course, that's bullshit and I would get used to it (even if they do it wrong).

Bottom line. If this job was in N.Y., I'd jump in a minute. But something says don't make a big move. That said, I will investigate.

1 comment:

Angelissima said...

I know what you mean. Southern California, while incredibly beautiful does get old after awhile.
Who needs all that sunshine? Don't get me wrong, I love sunshine...but sometimes you need a gray day to put things in perspective.
And all those plastic nice people...
and the strip malls! I lived in San Diego for awhile. Sometimes I wish I did stay, but its so different now...skyscrapers even!

Give me that funky studio on Narragansett Ave in OB...complete with Murphy Bed and stoned Jazz sax playing neighbor, Richie Flores.
He had to be in his 50's - I was barely 20. He had all sorts of interesting artsy friends. Poets and dancers, musicians.

Good Times.

He convinced me to eat raw squid once. Of course I was wasted but it was still one of the most horrifying experiences of my life.