Sunday, November 25, 2007

Marble Hill

Was doing my usual Sunday ride the 1 train to read the newspaper and I'm getting very curious about the neighborhoods at the very end of the line, particularly Marble Hill, which is part of Manhattan although it seems like it should be part of the Bronx (and once many years ago a Bronx borough president tried to lay claim to it). Great view of the river from there.

I think next time I may (gasp) actually venture from the train and check out the neighborhood. I just love that name--Marble Hill--sounds so cool. Good name for a story.

Otherwise, the usual day. Gym, exercise, the other stuff, some realizations about things and, oh yeah, I destroyed a new pair jeans because of a loose thread. It was the typical thing. There was a loose thread and eventually in my frustration I grabbed a pair of scissors and cut at it and ruined the jeans. Of course, no one would've ever noticed this thread but me but that doesn't matter. My mind is built on amplifying every minor imperfection until I become obsessed over it and in trying to fix it make things far worse.

The good thing is I didn't beat myself up afterwards. Hope that holds true for the week ahead, it's going to be a tough one. Have to cancel an event (thank you writer's strike), prep for another and deal with another big meeting. Also have to reports to write that I haven't started yet and I'm sure a shitload of other stuff. Oh well, I'm sometimes best with my back against the wall, hope that's the case.

And hopefully I'll get some time to post some stuff during the week.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's interesting reading your ramblings. I just want to tell you to breath, life is too short to keep doing things that don't make you happy. But then again life is way too long to keep doing things that don't make you happy... YOU need a honest hug.

Angelissima said...

Its always that shoe-lace-thing.

I obsessed over leaves yesterday. Like, every single solitary leaf HAD to disappear from the fence at the head of my driveway. Not to mention just falling short of dragging out a tape measure to properly space faded chrysanthemums in the front yard and systematically planting flower bulbs around my mailbox according to the maximum growth height on the box, covering the whole shebang with mulched leaves and wire mesh.

(I had a hurtful experience with some sort of hungry woodland creature foraging for food and finding my peony tubers...now I take preventive measures to ensure success)

Maybe this behavior is normal for the discriminating horticultural hobbiest? I don't think symmetry is too much to ask for.
What do I get for my troubles?
"Ang, you're getting manic." "Angie, is it time for your period?" Geez. NO!

Actually, yes to both. But so what, at least I'm awake, outside and productive.

Have a good week, Rambler! I can sympathize with the urgency of the last minute. It makes things way more dramatic and exciting.

Gina said...

yeah, the striving for perfection robs me of precious hours of daylight. I wanted to get the candles just right on Thanksgiving and was actually moving them around while my guest were trying to eat.
But those little stray threads are so annoying, especially on a sweater. it's hard not to want to clip it away or pull it out and tie a knot on the end. I always wind up pulling on it and cinching the whole thing.

The other day my sister said the cuff on my jeans had to go so I handed her a pair of scissors. She made one cut and tore the bottom all the way around."Careful, these are my last jeans before laundry." at which point she accidentally makes a vertical dip 8 inches up the leg. "that's okay, I can sew that up later..." Right. Cheap Walmart jeans fit lousy anyhow.

Good to hear you took the loss well.