Monday, November 12, 2007

Legal Strategies

Been following the case of Linda Stein, the murdered ex-Ramones manager turned real estate broker to the stars. From all I've read, she was a larger-than-life character with the ego to match. A brassy, tough woman used to getting her way and not afraid to let people know where they stood in the pecking order.

That her assistant has been charged with murdering her has led to a spate of stories about bosses from hell. Stein probably fit the bill, but that doesn't excuse pummeling her to death. That said, you can see the defense already starting. Stein allegedly invoked race in some of her remarks to the young woman. I like what Danny Fields said, which was basically that Linda wasn't a racist, she treated everyone equally as bad regardless of their color. Anyway, I imagine that the defense will portray the accused as an innocent victim of Stein's wrath who finally snapped.

As interesting is her own family's reaction. Seeming to recognize that her mother was a loose cannon, one of her daughter's has cited a new drug Stein was on for a brain tumor as reeking havoc with her already volatile personality.

So the way I see it, the accused will play the race card in her defense while the family sounds like they're getting ready to sue the pharmaceutical company behind whatever drugs Stein was taking.

I'm not going to defend the assistant. If she is found guilty than she should do the time. No matter how horrible a person Stein might have been to her, it doesn't excuse murder.

But Stein should serve as a cautionary tale to every abusive boss out there. Be careful who you shred and ridicule on a daily basis, they may have a breaking point and just might break that point on your head.

2 comments:

Angelissima said...

When did this happen? I was loving the Linda Stein mystery murder. Her assistant sounds like she was just as disturbed as the dearly departed.

I've never taken any brand of abuse from an employer. Some of my fondest memories are of my dramatic self-righteous retorts to inappropriate behavior. Nothing felt better than to turn on my heel, flip back my hair and storm out for good!

Then again, I have a cushy safety net that afforded me my egotistic elevator rides.

These days I take the crafty route and report them to the HR department and/or file lawsuits.

Oh you will pay, oh yes you will.

(can you tell I haven't been to a meeting in a week?!)

Gina said...

Interesting. Linda Stein reminds me of a character, Ruth Meyers (Joan Cusack) in Where the Heart Is. I toned down the filth in this exerpt:

Ruth Meyers: Jeepers Creepers, another guitar player. What's your name?
Willy Jack Pickens: Willie Jack Pickens.
Ruth Meyers: I bet you didn't even have to make that up, did you?
Willy Jack Pickens: What?
Ruth Meyers: So, you just carry that guitar around to keep your balance?
Willy Jack Pickens: You want me to play?
Ruth Meyers: What the frigg do you think I want you to do, call bingo? One tune; your best shot.
Willy Jack Pickens: Well, I wrote this one myself.
Ruth Meyers: I have goosebumps already.

Anyway, She agrees to being his manager, but warns him not to ever turn on her. When he does, it's a rude and painful awakening for Willie Jack. Maybe that's how it is in the world of high fidelity. Another good one. Women bosses can be NASTY!!