Friday, November 16, 2007

Mocha Crappachino

So Starbucks released its earnings yesterday and they were a little disappointing. The brass there doesn't think this has anything to do with over saturation. Good news, they're going to launch a TV campaign to boost awareness.

CEO Jim Donald said the campaign would be a "very culturally sensitive, product-driven" and added that "as we grow our stores, we're trying to reach out to this broader audience that maybe [has] not had a chance to experience Starbucks."

Now as readers know, I engage in the occasional venti drip despite my mixed emotions about the franchise. But who the heck hasn't experienced Starbucks in this country? And if they haven't, it means they don't want to or they live in a region/town where Starbucks doesn't want them to have the experience.

This reminds me of the classic scene from Spinal Tap when Ian, the band's manager, explains Tap's waning popularity.

Marty: The last time Tap toured America, they where, uh, booked into 10,000 seat arenas, and 15,000 seat venues, and it seems that now, on their current tour they're being booked into 1,200 seat arenas, 1,500 seat arenas, and uh I was just wondering, does this mean uh...the popularity of the group is waning?

Ian: Oh, no, no, no, no, no, no...no, no, not at all. I, I, I just think that the.. uh.. their appeal is becoming more selective.

2 comments:

Angelissima said...

Starbucks. well, they won't appeal to a larger audience until they lower their prices. Seriously, who wants to pay 5.00 for a crappachino? Mocha or otherwise.

I did my stint with the highly addictive Mocha Crappachino. Friggin' LOVED that shit. But, then, I found out the calorie and fat info. That was the end of that.

I'm a bold venti drip or skim latte nowadays - if anything...oddly, I'm losing my taste for ultra-strong coffee. I don't know what thats about.

Its like you say, Dunkin' is making a comeback. It just makes more sense. Tastes better doesn't cost as much and you can get a sugar fix if you want...like, who want a stale biscotti for 3.00?
or those pathetic madelines they always have up on the counter.

I sound like a regular penny-pincher, but I just don't think a cup of coffee of any size should cost more than 2.00...

Seriously.

So, about your urges. Interesting how we turn to just about anything to get us out of ourselves. I'm right there with you on that. Unfortunately, my medication sometimes knocks the drive right out of me, much to the chagrin of my husband.

I go for the ice cream and chocolate in a big way. (pun intended)

Hang in there Rambler! Chocolate Milkshakes all around!

Rambler said...

on thursday night i had a milkshake and an egg cream