Thursday, October 18, 2007

Rules of Engagement

So a friend of mine got engaged. I'm happy for him but as usual my mind goes to "already?" They've been dating a little over a year I guess. I honestly don't know either of them all that well so this is not a critique on them but rather my own musings on how people know so fast that this is it whereas I would argue I need at least three years.

Of course, this is why I'm 42 and single. That said, I also could easily be 42 and divorced twice. I'm pretty sure I wasn't ready to get married then and I'm not so sure I'm ready now. Of course, I think you actually need to be dating someone to even consider getting married and right now the Rambler rambles alone.

I've strung girls along for years. Nothing I'm proud of, mind you. The first one was right after college and we were together for a couple of years but the idea of marriage never even entered my mind. I'm young, I don't know what I'm doing with my life, why would I get married. Rinse and repeat and you've got the rest of my relationships.

Now I'm 42 and I still say I'm young, I don't know what I'm doing with my life. I also don't know where love and marriage fits in. This is one of the problems of living alone. It becomes very tough to imagine opening yourself up to all that. There are some nights when nothing seems more depressing than me with my cheese steak in my boxers watching a ballgame. And there are other times when I wouldn't trade that for the world.

I do think eventually I'll find someone and settle down and the fact that i'm friendly with the majority of my exes means at least that my sins were not unforgivable. My problem is I need to start looking for Ms. Right and stop looking for Ms. Right Now. And if I didn't marry any of the ones that I spent years with, it is probably for the better. Just as my friend obviously feels something that told him this is it, maybe just as important is a feeling that this is not it.

1 comment:

Gina said...

cheese steak and boxers in front of the TV. Sooner or later that's how you wind up anyway. Married or not...in front of the TV with your dinner, in your drawers, watching a game alone. Most chicks really don't watch games for the fun of it. She'll find something else to do without you, like take a bath or sleep or go see her sister. Make a mess in the kitchen. Ya know, it's not all that big a deal, when you find your old shoe. Just some minor adustments to someone in the bed and maybe a place for all of her clothes...and foof... and relatives and all of that crap. There will always some bright spot in the misery for you. I think if you can find someone you can ramble on with you'll hardly notice she's there and maybe you'll even like her around. Hey...wait, that would be Ms. Right, wouldn't it? Scratch this.