Friday, January 25, 2008

Schnook

One of my biggest adjustments in my not so new job is how fucking quiet it is here. Seriously, my phone rings maybe three times a day unless things get really jamming. I need noise, I need action. If it is quiet, my head goes places and then my brain says don't go there and takes me into even worse places under the guise that this diversion is a good thing when really it's a bad thing.

I'm used to getting my emails returned pronto. I'm used to my calls being taken. I know, false expectation, false pride, out-of-whack ego. I get it. I'm not the big swinging dick at the powerful paper anymore. I'm just some event planner who is usually calling for a favor. In other words, to borrow from Henry Hill, "I gotta live the rest of my life like a schnook."

Which is why I need to get a real life.

2 comments:

Gina said...

nobody likes those big swinging dicks any hoot. Find something FUN to do, to think about while you're schnookin' around over there. Plan an event in your own life, maybe.

I dated this guy who owned a record store in Brooklyn and Staten Island. He eventually sold em both and relocated 'down the shore'. Business is not good these days and being in his late 40s, he needed to come to grips with reality. He would sit in that store day in and day out...counting customers on his 10 fingers. Oh sure he does the ticketmaster and ebay but it's just not as lucrative. He'd rant and then sigh..." I used to be KING! " and now I'm just the court jester."
The wind up... He decided to use his talent in business and is getting his masters in business.
No idea what he's gonna do but I am SURE he wants out of that store.

So maybe, like the jester, you're just going through the facing reality stage before you actually make a change for the better...
maybe. sorta.

sorry but I was getting bored and had to write something.

Angelissima said...

Get an IPOD. It helps with the quiet.

After I got here I ordered spaghetti with marina sauce..and I got egg noodles with ketchup....