Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Who I Am Is Not What I Think

Over the holidays I was playing Rock Band or Rock Star, one of those video games that has replaced actually learning how to play an instrument.

Anyway, I was doing the singing while my nephew, niece and sister-in-law were playing guitar, drums, bass, etc. I do not have a good singing voice and actually have never liked the sound of my own voice, but someone needed to sing. Interestingly, I would score higher when I just sang using my natural voice than when I would try to sound all raspy and emulate Springsteen or try to sound all tough. There's a lesson in this of course and that is to stop pretending to be something other than me.

I'm not some super dark loner.
I'm not Humphrey Bogart meets Bukowski meets Keith Moon meets whomever.
I'm just a guy with a pretty sharp wit and a lot of nervous energy trying to figure out who the hell I am and what I'm here for.
And as soon as I stop trying to be something else the better off I'll be.

It was a very telling moment. Perhaps I'm better off being me. At least for my sake.

Oh, and happy new year.

4 comments:

Spin Queen said...

Overheard in a meeting this weekend...

The myth we buy into:
I am who I am and I'm not enough.

The reality:
I am who I am and I am enough.

Gina said...

I would guess that Bruce has damaged his vocal chords singing that way and
probably finds it best for his songs which are long drawn out stories which require that kind of raw emotion in order to be believable. They'd sound cornier without the volume and rasp and facial grimacing..and sweat, which by the way, you had noted was lacking with that dry look hairdo thing he's got going on up there.

That was a good lesson. You have your own voice and story and need to appreciate the uniqueness of it.

Anonymous said...

you're a smart guy. you got it right.
nervous energy is energy. and energy is a good thing. addiction is a bad thing. they are two polar opposites. figure out the nervous part. listen to it and calm it, or tame it. it is there for a reason.
happy new year.

Gina said...

You are enough, even with your nervous energy. Channel it into something useful for yourself and others. Remember that these things ebb and flow, and sometimes you just have to go with it. You have no problem gaining insight and expressing yourself, which puts you way ahead of many folks, including myself.