Sunday, January 6, 2008

To Sir With Love

In a few weeks I start yet another experiment--teaching. Yes, the Rambler will be passing on his knowledge to the younger generation. No, this won't be about how to best procure adult entertainment in a strange town or why gatorade really works wonders when your crashing.

Instead I will be teaching a media class at a small college. I have no idea why I agreed to do this--certainly not for the $$ as it only pays about two grand. It's only 12 classes and I used to always think about being a teacher. Of course, I wanted to be Gabe Kaplan and return to my D.C. public school as a history teacher. Alas, the "Welcome Back Kotter" dream faded pretty fast after college.

The guy who was teaching before has already warned me that these kids aren't so much freshmen as they are in the 13th grade. But the reason I chose to do this is that it is nonetheless a chance to try something new and have new experiences. If I do everything I've always done, I'll get what I always got. Yeah, I know, you're all tired with how I drop these little pearls into everything. But I need the reminder.

While I'd like to think I'll be some inspirational professor a la Sidney Poitier, I think the more accurate depiction will probably be Nick Nolte in "Teachers."

I'm told the rules have tightened a little bit and sleeping with students is actually now kind of discouraged. I thought in college there was a don't ask-don't tell policy. Oh well. It doesn't really matter. I didn't sleep with any students while I was in college so why start now?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gostei muito desse post e seu blog é muito interessante, vou passar por aqui sempre =) Depois dá uma passada lá no meu site, que é sobre o CresceNet, espero que goste. O endereço dele é http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . Um abraço.

Rambler said...

There you go folks, my first Portuguese post. At least that's what I think that language is and the translation seems to be positive so I'll go with that.

Angelissima said...

congratulations, you've got SPAM!
I just realized MAPS is SPAM backward. Kinda makes sense.

Good luck with the new teaching venture. I was thinking just this morning that if I were a teacher I'd bring a giant nurf gun and shoot the first wise-cracker with a foam pellet. I wonder if that would be frowned upon.

Gina said...

Teaching is a great idea, Rambler. But what's the subject? Writing? Journalism? Party planning? I really have little idea of what you actually do. I did some teaching as part of a job I had and it got out of hand with the visuals. A little too creative, I'd say with the foley catheters. I think I was on the edge at the time. A well, you have a good time with that. Wait... Be different and unpopular. Teach abstinence!

Great idea, Ang. Best to stay on the offensive.